Job Title: NURSE PRACTITIONER
Division: CORRECTIONS ADULT/ JUVENILE
Department: NORCOR CORRECTIONS/ DETENTION MEDICAL
Reports To: ADMINISTRATOR
Prepared By: James K. Weed
Prepared Date: 2/20/2014
FLSA Status: EXEMPT / PROFESSIONAL
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Nurse Practitioner is responsible to ensure the delivery of quality and safe medical service to all inmates/ detainees of the NORCOR facilities. The individual in this position will provide clinic services that reflect high standards of medical care required by Oregon State standards.
SCOPE OF SERVICE:
The Nurse Practitioner in this department must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the juveniles and adult inmates served in this agency. Based on this knowledge, he/she provides services according to the identified medical needs. The inmate’s/ juvenile’s served by the Nurse Practitioner consists of clients of a wide range of age, cultural, and philosophical background.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Performs medical examinations and evaluations, diagnoses, treatment, follow-up and consultations.
2. Review medical and mental health screening forms on all newly admitted inmates/ detainees in a timely manner as required by NORCOR medial policies.
3. Obtains patient histories and develops patient care charts, ensuring completeness and accuracy.
4. Prescription of care including medication.
5. Prepares test request forms for collection and testing of patients as necessary.
6. Ability to assess and take care of the patient, handling all equipment requiring manual dexterity.
7. Patient file documentation and filing completed in a timely and accurate manner.
8. Ability to accurately communicate and handle phone calls.
9. Assist in the medical training of the Health Trained Officers and Detentions Staff.
10. Referral of complex and high priority cases to outside medical facilities with regard to complicated diagnostic problems, serous illness, complicated therapeutic problems, re-evaluation and chronic conditions.
11. Ability to perform phlebotomy if required.
12. Ability to perform EKG’s when required.
13. Inventories and orders medical supplies as needed.
14. Ability to any office procedure requested within licensing scope.
15. Accurately and effectively follows Universal Precautions and instructs others in the office in procedures.
16. Follows the policies and procedures of NORCOR and the NORCOR Personnel Code.
17. Maintains strict confidentiality of all information/ records as required by NORCOR policies and procedures and the HIPPA regulations.
18. Maintains professional, pleasant and cooperative relationship with medical staff, coworkers, other medical agencies, the public, and NORCOR Administrative staff.
19. Use of proper channels of communication or chain of command.
20. Demonstrates adaptability in dealing with change and while under stress.
21. Demonstrates adaptability in changing schedules as needs change in the clinic.
22. Responsible for data entry and the recording of medical billing.
23. Responsible to use computers and a variety of computer programs.
24. Package and presents medication to inmates/ detainees and observes ingestion or other application, or administers medication using specified procedures as directed by the medical provider.
25. Verifies the identity of the patient receiving medications and records name of drug, dosage, and time of administration on the specified forms or records.
26. Order and inventory prescription medication, over the counter medication, and assures proper storage of controlled substances, needles and syringes, to conform to applicable law and security requirements.
27. Re-evaluate medication in stock. Check for current expiration dates and return to the vendor outdated medications. Maintain records of disposition of all medications. Review formulary of emergency medications yearly with the Facility administrator for update of formulary and policy.
28. Maintain adequate medical supplies to provide timely care for the inmates/ detainees.
29. Takes vital signs such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight/ height, blood sugars tests, and observes patients to detect response to specified types of medications and prepares reports/ charts as needed.
30. Schedules appointments or follow-up appointments for the inmate’s/ detainees.
31. When required, make arrangements for evaluation or treatment services not provided by the NORCOR medical staff.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Medical service oversight
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Receives some direction from the NORCOR Administrator. Employee evaluations will be completed by the administrator considering the recommendations of the medical staff and corrections supervisory staff.
LICENSES REQUIRED: Possess valid Oregon Nurse Practitioner License, have a Master’s Degree in nursing and have graduated from an accredited nurse practitioner program. Have a DEA license to prescribe and dispense medication. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. NOTE: Misdemeanor or felony convictions may be a disqualifier for the job.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS: Ability to operate personal computer, including word processing and specialized software, two-way radio, phone. Typewriter, calculator, fax machine and copy machine and other medical equipment associated with the job. Demonstration of patterns of continued learning in order to ensure growth as a practitioner. Ability to speak, read and write Spanish is preferred but not required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Applicant must possess a High School diploma or GED equivalent. Master’s Degree in Nursing. Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioners program. Experience working in a correctional/healthcare facility is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully, perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and use hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job position takes place within the confines of an adult and juvenile corrections facility. Patients are inmates/ detainees of the NORCOR facilities.
The noise level in the work, environment is usually moderate.
Must remain constantly alert and observant throughout your shift.
May be required to work weekends or overtime.
May include dealing with verbal abuse, combative, or threats to self and family from inmates/ detainees. This is systematically controlled by the agency, but may occur from time to time.
This application is a Microsoft Word Read Only Document
You can print out the document and fill in by hand, or you can tab and type from field to field throughout the document. You cannot save it to the website, however the document can be saved to your local computer. When completed, you must print the document, hand sign and submit to NORCOR by mail, or directly to the administration office by the posted closing date and time.
Applications can be mailed or hand delivered to:
**NORCOR disclaims any responsibility for typographical errors and accuracy of the information that may be contained on the NORCOR website.**
This Site Developed by Weenerdawg Graphix
Maintained by NORCOR