- NORCOR Serves four counties: Gilliam, Hood River, Sherman and Wasco. It is a Regional Adult Jail and Juvenile Detention Correctional Facility complex.
- Regional adult and juvenile space was severely inadequate to meet the needs of the four counties.
- The new facilities, located in The Dalles, Oregon, provides 154 (Expandable to 212) adult beds and 32 juvenile beds. In the event bed space exists beyond the four counties needs, NORCOR will rent bed space to other entities to generate revenue.
- At the present time NORCOR has contracts with Wheeler, Skamania, Klickitat and Jefferson Counties, as well as the INS, for bed space.
- Incarceration needs in the region continue to rise due, in part, to new legislation requiring mandatory sentences (measure 11) and State mandated local detention (SB 1145). The new correctional facility will meet the needs brought about by this legislation and regional crime growth.
- The Governor of Oregon, State legislators, 14 county commissioners, four county Sheriffs, the Oregon Department of Education, community colleges in the region, State of Washington county commissioners, the Association of Oregon Counties, cities in the four regions, and crime victims associations support NORCOR’s efforts to operate an adult and juvenile detention facility.
modified: 10/25/2018 09:36 pm